Welcome to the VFW VT Post 7823 Maine
|Recent News Entries
What Does Super Committee Failure Mean to VFW?
President Signs Veterans' Jobs Bill Into Law
Businesses Offering Big Savings to Veterans this Veterans Day
VFW Foundation Announces 2011 Burger KingŪ Unmet Needs Fundraiser
First Amendment Prevails at Houston VA National Cemetary
Become a Friend of the Department of Maine
Posted at 03:44 PM on Friday, December 7, 2007 by post7823
In This Issue:
1. Senate VA Committee Holds Hearing on Peake Nomination
2. VFW Testifies in Support of Vietnam Education Center
3. House Passes Small Business Legislation for Vets
4. Army Hotline Puts Soldiers First
1. Senate VA Committee Holds Hearing on Peake Nomination: On Wednesday, the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee heard testimony from VA Secretary Nominee Dr. James Peake. Peake, a retired Army lieutenant general and the former Army surgeon general from 2000 to 2004, was nominated by President Bush in October after then VA Secretary Nicholson resigned.
The committee members questioned Peake on his positions on several critical issues facing today's VA to include VA funding, claims backlog, mental health, GI Bill, seamless transition and updating the VA ratings schedule.
A vote to confirm Dr. Peake by the Committee and full Senate has not yet been schedule but is expected to occur before Congress adjourns for the year.
For more on the hearing go to the Senate VA website at: http://veterans.senate.gov