Welcome to the VFW SC Post 5934 - Newberry, South Carolina
|Recent News Entries
VFW Foundation Announces 2011 Burger KingŪ Unmet Needs Fundraiser
First Amendment Prevails at Houston VA National Cemetary
"This is My VFW" Membership Recruitment Video
VA News Highlights
National Convention Wrap Up
Become a Friend of the Department of South Carolina
Posted at 03:22 PM on Monday, September 13, 2010 by post5934In This Issue:
1. GI Education Improvement Bill Needs Action
2. Thousands Owed Stop-Loss Payments
3. VFW Against 'Burn a Koran Day'
4. Vietnam Airman to Receive MoH
1. GI Education Improvement Bill Needs Action: Congress returns to Washington next week with many unfinished items on their agenda. One of the most important is the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010, a VFW priority. Both the House and Senate have introduced bipartisan legislation designed to fix VA's administration of the current benefit and improve the employability for many veterans.
H.R. 5933 and S. 3447 will make the changes needed to update and expand opportunities under the current GI Bill. We are asking all veterans advocates to call, or email (a sample letter is provided) their legislators and urge them to pass the bill so that veterans can begin using the benefit. Time is critical. Click on the link below to take action.
2. Thousands Owed Stop-Loss Payments: The VFW is asking its members, Posts and friends to help the Pentagon reach about 80,000 former servicemembers who were stop-lossed between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009. The reason is the government owes them $500 for every month they were kept beyond their initial separation date, but they must apply before the reimbursement program ends Oct. 21. The average benefit paid exceeds $3,500. For more information and to apply, go to www.defense.gov/stoploss. The following service-specific sites provide more information and allow you to begin the Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay claim process:
* Army: https://www.stoplosspay.army.mil
* Navy: http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/7000FinancialMgmt/7220_410.htm
* Marine Corps: https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/stoploss
* Air Force: http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/stoploss/
Continue reading Washington Weekly