MyVFW Social Network    Latest MyVFW Photos   Latest MyVFW Videos    MyVFW Groups    Latest Network News

Author Topic: How-Do from Philly!  (Read 7203 times)

Offline jagered72

• Email
How-Do from Philly!
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:46:51 pm »
I transferred to a historical Post here in Philly… attended my first meeting and got elected as the Jr. Vice… got swept into a crap storm that started before I got there and got bumped up to Sr. Vice after the CDR resigned… we were shutdown for 60 days and been open now for about 2 months.  Trying to learn what the 'eff' we are suppose to be doing?!?  … I was happy being a Legion Rider on 2 wheels, now this!    ::)

Well slowly bringing it back to life… still hitting resistance with locals, whose idea was it to allow Social/Associate Members?!?  --- yes I know National does not recognize them and I've heard and seen all the comments about how they are in violation?!?  Send your opinions to the PA State HQs because they are the ones that allow/tolerate them.

That's it!  Will be off and on to get info and most likely asking for help!!   8)
Gold Legacy Life Member
Sr. Vice Commander/Adjutant/Historian, Bridesburg-Lawton VFW Post 2
Chairman, VFW RIDERS Post 2
Assistant Director, Legion Riders Post 372 - Cherry Hill, NJ
Legionnaire Post 159 - Chincoteague, VA
Life Member AMVETS Post 101 - Delair, NJ

Offline DoggyDaddy

• Administrator
  • Have Dog Will Travel
    • VFW Post 1716, Freedom CA
    • Email
Re: How-Do from Philly!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:56:26 pm »
Well slowly bringing it back to life… still hitting resistance with locals, whose idea was it to allow Social/Associate Members?!?  --- yes I know National does not recognize them and I've heard and seen all the comments about how they are in violation?!?  Send your opinions to the PA State HQs because they are the ones that allow/tolerate them.
If you can obtain evidence (cell photo, paper), Treasury reports reflecting income from social members, social membership card, witnessed statements by affidavits, Post or House Committee Minutes, and other documentation showing refusal to enforce and comply with VFW By Laws,
you can always request disciplinary action against Post, District and Dept Officers.  Won't make you popular, but violating the By Laws makes you corrupt as those above you and violates the Oath you took.
Joe Kleinsmith
All State VFW Post 1716 Cmdr (1998-2000)
Cpt, VFW Post Honor Guard, Retired (1991-2009)
SC-SB County Council Cmdr (1996-1997)
SFC, US Army, Retired (1971-1991)
Full Time RV'er
www.vfwwebcom.org/ca/post1716
http://vfwwebcom.org/ca/Post1716HonorGuard/

Offline marlinnotafish

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
These social or associate members are probably not VFW members but belong to the Home Association.  The Home Association is a 501(c)(7) social club and is separate and apart from the actual VFW.  This is very common in Pennsylvania and probably other states as well.

Offline C_Hunter

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:39 am »
Marlin, you beat me to it on the reply.  The IRS recognizes Post Home Associations as legitimate subordinate units of veterans associations.  Some states also allow such organizations in their statutes regulating private clubs.  Pennsylvania is one of these.  Other states do not allow them.  Where they are allowed, posts with declining membership and/or member participation see them as a way to keep the canteen profitable.

Offline dnkldorf

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:26:50 am »
Social members bring much needed cash flows to the posts.

The VFW is a business, and must be run like one.

Offline dnkldorf

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:29:47 am »
Oh, and good luck with PA HQ helping you out with anything.

I dare you to make waves...