MyVFW Social Network    Latest MyVFW Photos   Latest MyVFW Videos    MyVFW Groups    Latest Network News

Author Topic: Kinda new to the VFW . . .  (Read 2649 times)

NorCal

Kinda new to the VFW . . .
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
I came home from Iraq in 2005 and before we could go home, our commander forced us to sign-up with the VA and the VFW. I've paid my dues every year, but I was never contacted by the VFW and I never went to a local post to see a meeting.

I went to one this week at a small post about 40 minutes away. It was a cool experience and they had a good group of guys, but I did feel kinda out of place as I was the youngest one there. I could relate to them on a certain level, but the generational gap couldn't be ignored either.

My local post is huge, but they don't even have a website, contact information, or somewhere to see a schedule of meetings. I'm going to check out a few more posts in my area, but I'm still trying to figure the VFW out . . .

Offline Chris Weber 5468

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Kinda new to the VFW . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »
First, Thank you for your Service.
It looks like you are approaching selecting your Post wisely. Always hunt around to find one that you like.
To learn about the programs, as you are a Member, you have access to the National On Line Membership System (OMS). Go to  vfw.org and on the top of the page, log in. It is simple to establish your log it. It will ask for your Membership Card Number and your Email address.
Once in there, surf into the Chairman Guides, and the Commanders Handbook, and the Quartermaster Handbook. Nothing will serve you better than knowing how everything works. Learn all you can. Read topics in this Forum. If you come up with any questions, ask away. There are several regulars here who will find the answer.
As far as your Post Website goes, they might have one that is free and just do not use it. Here is a link to my Post website  http://myvfw.org/mo/post5468/  We do a little work here. Small Post with few workers.
Once again, welcome to this Forum.
Chris Weber
Adjutant, 12th District
National Aide-De-Camp    5 times
All American District Adjutant - 3 times
All State District Commander 2008 - 2009
All State Post Commander, 1999 - 2000 - 2001
Veteran Service Officer, Post 5468
Pacific, Missouri

NorCal

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:25:53 pm »
I looked high and low and I could not locate the link for the National On Line Membership System (OMS) on the vfw.org website. I even entered the term in the search window with no luck; then I punched it into google with no luck either.

Offline JLazyV

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:06:42 am »
Here's the link. It's at the top, just click on Login.

https://www.vfw.org/Login.aspx
All-State Post Cmdr 2004-07, 2008-09, 2010-12
Captain All-State Post Cmdrs 2011-12
All-American Post Cmdr 2008-09
District 4 Chaplain
MOC Wild Bill Cody Seam Squirrel 2010-11
MOC Grand of Nebraska Adjutant 2008-13
MOC Grand of Nebraska Jr-Vice Cmdr 2012-13
MOC Supreme 9th District Adjutant 2011-2013