MyVFW Social Network    Latest MyVFW Photos   Latest MyVFW Videos    MyVFW Groups    Latest Network News

Author Topic: The Wearing of Unearned Medals on Civilian Clothes.  (Read 3728 times)

Offline FADNET

• Email
The Wearing of Unearned Medals on Civilian Clothes.
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
At the risk of sounding redundant, I have a question about what is described in the title.

I am aware of what is state in Army Regulation 670-1, paragraph 30-6. It says that former members of the Army (including active duty, reserves, or Army National Guard), may wear medals on "appropriate" civilian clothing on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at "formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature." "Appropriate" civilian clothes includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations, such as VFW or American Legion uniforms. You can wear either the full-size or miniture-size medals. You should place the medals and decorations in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

But it says little to nothing about the wearing of UNAUTHORIZED medals and such.

The reason I ask is that I have outed a Faker/Poser/Liar/Embellisher/whatever. And he REFUSES to take down his pictures on Facebook of him in jean jackets wearing pretty much everything that one can buy at Clothing Sales. According to him, his "bestest friend" (and he has a different one each time) gave him stuff like Airborne Wings, Air Assault Wings, and the CIB (and LOTS more) to wear on his jackets...

He also wearing one star rank and some high-up enlisted rank in the Air Force on the same jacket. He also identifies the Tropic Lightning patch as the "27th Infantry" and has various patches like a Ranger scroll, SF, 82nd, and others on his jackets.

My question is this:
A. Aside from beating the tar out of him (which will literally solve nothing), what can be done?
B.I'm heading to Ft. Dix soon to talk to his chain of command? What regulations can I cite to his chain of command when I go talk to them?

Oh, if any of you are interested, this is the link to my page outing this guy. You're probably going to need to take a deep breath and make sure your head doesn't explode.
http://www.itss.brockport.edu/~sfadn1/index06.07.10.00.00_TopMenu_FADNET_FADNET_Features_Fakers,_Posers,_and_Liars_X_Nova_Sosa.html

Offline jim178

Re: The Wearing of Unearned Medals on Civilian Clothes.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:07:53 pm »
I gather from your post the this guy is in military currently?
If that is the case all you would need to do is show his CO the pictures of him sporting the unauthorized medals and they would take it from there.

People serving currently are NOT allow to wear unauthorized medals Period.

In accordance with chapter 45, section 771, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 771), no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform of the U.S. Army unless otherwise authorized by law. Additionally, no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear a uniform, any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the U.S. Army uniform. This includes the distinctive uniforms and uniform items listed in paragraph 1–12 of this regulation. Paragraph 1–12 goes on to define "Distinctive uniforms and uniform items:"

a. The following uniform items are distinctive and will not be sold to or worn by unauthorized personnel:

(1) All Army headgear, when worn with insignia.
    (2) Badges and tabs (identification, marksmanship, combat, and special skill).
    (3) Uniform buttons (U.S. Army or Corps of Engineers).
    (4) Decorations, service medals, service and training ribbons, and other awards and their appurtenances.
    (5) Insignia of any design or color that the Army has adopted.
AR-670-1

the Marines:
Can someone who was never in the Corps

purchase and wear Marine Corps awards/medals?

No (unless you are an actor and meet the guidelines established in Chapter 11 of the Uniform Regulations, paragraph 11004.3.d).
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/pages/appropriate%20wear%20of%20the%20uniforms.htm

well you get idea

Offline IJK3770

• Dept of Mo Webmaster, QM Post 3770, Mtn Grove, Mo
  • Administrator
    • Mtn Grove VFW Post 3770
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
He looks like a moron with all those patches on, but unless he is currently in the service there is nothing one can do.  And I would be surprised if the Army will go to the trouble of doing anything.  I mean, what could they do? Throw him out?  No one can see the rainbow of patches and various medals from different services and not know that he is totally out of his mind.  Maybe he needs a"Talking" doctor.
Good work with your "Fadnet".  Don't be a stranger here but keep us informed of the things you find. 
Cheerily
IJK
All-State Post QM :
97-98,98-99,99-00,00-01,01-02, 03-04,04-05,06-07,08-09, 09-10,10-11,11-12,12-13,

Assistant Inspector General 2008-09
National Aide-de-Camp 2009-10
National Aide-de-Camp 2010-11
Assistant Inspector General 2011-2012
National Aide-de-Camp 2013-2014

IRS Post Audit Survivor

Offline dnkldorf

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:40:27 am »
I agree with the above. Unless he is active or reserve, he can do what he wants.

It kinda like what kids do today. They wear their fathers, brothers, whoever fatigue jackets as a style in school.
The jackets still might have the persons last name on it, with the branch of service on it. It may or may not have rank sewn on it.

My advice, contact the local marine corps recruiting center, and tell them this dude is making fun of them.

I am sure the marines can send him a message.

Offline FADNET

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:04:00 pm »
Well Guys, he IS in the military.
Now he is claiming that he is a CPL, and you know what? I don't care. I'm calling his Chain of Command tomorrow or the next day.
He is in the NG and is allegedly deploying to Afghanistan next month (yeah, I know, OPSEC, but he has put it all over Facebook).

Also, thank you for having me in your forum. I've done 11 years, 4 AD ABN infantry in AK, and the last seven in a CA reserve unit, and I'm getting out shortly.
I'm also planning on joining the VFW when I have the money.
Again, thank you for having me.
Will keep you all updated...
If anyone wishes to contact me (esp with info about this tool), feel free to email me at AskFADNET@gmail.com

All the way...