MyVFW Social Network    Latest MyVFW Photos   Latest MyVFW Videos    MyVFW Groups    Latest Network News

Author Topic: Interest in VFW Motorcycle Club  (Read 15676 times)

Offline DoggyDaddy

• Administrator
  • Have Dog Will Travel
    • VFW Post 1716, Freedom CA
    • Email
Interest in VFW Motorcycle Club
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:03:09 am »
The VFW does have a Motorcycle Club.  One has been started in California and other states are showing interest. The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States Motorcycle Club (VFW M/C) is a family oriented organization dedicated to the ideals of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States and the enjoyment of motorcycle riding, promoting motorcycle safety and the comradeship of its members.
The VFW M/C is the only M/C authorized by the VFW National Headquarters to wear the Cross of Malta, and is the official Motorcycle Club of the VFW.  The VFW M/C does not sponsor, endorse, or recognize any Riders Clubs, and or Motorcycle Clubs claiming affiliation with the Veterans Of Foreign Wars.  
The VFW M/C is a neutral club and claims no affiliation with and or allegiance to any organization other than the Veterans Of Foreign Wars of the United States. It is a chartered organization..... and is authorized by the Department of California to operate within the state of California.  They have a Constitution and By-Laws that controls the organization and are designated as  a 501 (3)c  non-profit organization by the Internal Revenue Service.  The VFW M/C is recognized at the state conventions but are not part of the Council of Administration. They are looked upon more as a  "program" rather than district or post.  Currently there are three Chapters within the State.

The National Organization does not recognize the M/C as a viable part of the VFW at this time, however this is expected this to change in the future do to the amount of interest from numerous other states to start their own program along the guidelines of CA VFW M/C. Not sure how long this will take but eventually they will have to realize this is a great program to have and is a good recruiting tool for our younger and future members.

:)  www.vfwmotorcycleclub.org
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:42:27 am by Redmaxx 7546 »
Joe Kleinsmith
All State VFW Post 1716 Cmdr (1998-2000)
Cpt, VFW Post Honor Guard, Retired (1991-2009)
SC-SB County Council Cmdr (1996-1997)
SFC, US Army, Retired (1971-1991)
Full Time RV'er
www.vfwwebcom.org/ca/post1716
http://vfwwebcom.org/ca/Post1716HonorGuard/

Offline Redmaxx

• Administrator
  • Past Department of Michigan District 4 Commander
    • Email
Re: Interest in VFW Motorcycl Club
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:50:44 am »
The American Legion has a large motorcycle club. I guess that the VFW doesn't get it yet.
Department of Michigan
District 4 Commander 11-12
National Aide-de-Camp 10-11
District 4 Sr. Vice  10-11
District 4 Jr. Vice 09-10
Post Commander 08-09
District 4 Employment/Homeless Vet Chair 08-11
Post Sr. Vice 07-08 12-13
District 4 Service Officer 06-07
Post Jr. Vice 06-07

Offline DoggyDaddy

• Administrator
  • Have Dog Will Travel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:38:36 pm »
When one sees something they like and it works, they want to copy or duplicate it.  The VFW existed before the American Legion.   Like many veterans, I am a member of the VFW, AL and DAV; and I support them all.  I have been riding with the  ALR (Dist 28)  for over 3 years.
Actually the American Legion Riders is a "Riders Group" and not a Motorcycle Club.  That is a significant difference.  But the ALR has made great strides within the American Legion and motorcycle community.  In fact, in California, the American Legion Riders just had their Convention and has been recognized by the State as its own organization like the Auxiliary and SAL.    8)   Ride Safe.   ;D
Joe Kleinsmith
Full Time RV'er

Offline VAKIM

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 05:16:42 pm »
Virginia has a M/C club started out of the Hampton Roads area about a year ago. Here is there web site www.vfwriders.com. I know Delaware has a club and Indiana is starting one so it won't belong before there are more amd more VFW Rider clubs around the states.

VAKIM

Kim DeShano
Dept. of VA A/Q

Renegade

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »
How many states have VFW Motorcycle riding organizations?  And has anyone consolidated a list of contacts for each of the organizations?  We have one here in Colorado it is the VFW Warriors (we wanted to distinguish ourselves from the A.L. Riders).  We are at www.vfw-warriors.com.

warbird63

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »
Texas has 9 chapters I am trying to start one in pearland texas.The by-laws are on the state website,vfwmg

sig40

Re: Interest in VFW Motorcycle Club
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »
THERE SHOULD NOT BE OR EVER WILL BE A VFW M/C  OR AMERICAN LEGION M/C.  HOWEVER THEY ARE CLASSIFIED AS A RIDING CROUPS. I CAN SEE ALL THE 1% CLUBS TAKING NOTICE OF YOU GUYS ROLLING UP WITH YOUR NEW COLORS AND NO RESPECT FOR OTHER CLUBS AROUND.  BEFORE YOU START AN M/C YOU NEED TO INVESTIGATE , LEARN AND GET AN EDUCATION FROM OTHER CLUBS IF YOU WANT TO SUCCEED  IN LIFE.    :o

Renegade

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:54:46 pm »
Sig,

You are correct.  In fact of the 19 state VFW riding organization that I know of,  there is only one m/c and that is in California.  I don't know if they have cleared their colors with the local COC or with the dominate club.  We however,  are very cognizant of the protocols which are in place and respect the world that we are entering.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:56:42 pm by Renegade »

Offline Jimmy

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:00:47 pm »
We have a few bikers in our post but not nearly enough to start a unit. A chapter of Rolling Thunder showed up for our Memorial Day parade.

Any bikers in or around Wisconsin should be aware of the 2009 Motorcycle Rally at the HighGround. http://www.thehighground.org/motorcycle-rally/index.html
"War is wretched beyond description, and only a fool or a fraud could sentimentalize its cruel reality." ~ Senator John McCain

warbird63

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:46:46 am »
Texas already has a vfwmg(motorcycle group) 9 Chapters and growing looking for intrest in pearland area

1sg_davo

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:58:46 pm »
I will second the comment about Riding club vs. MC.

I would like to start a VFW riding club chapter myself, but again, not enough members in my post to start one. Only one state Legion riding club in our state and it is to far away.

Offline RoadGlide05

• Stop crying about it and fix it.
  • Can ya hear me now?
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:52 pm »
My god man.  I haven't heard so much confusing jibber jabber since I tried to deal with the freakin IRS.  Either the National Organization recognizes a VFW Motorcycle Club, or it doesn't.

Offline DoggyDaddy

• Administrator
  • Have Dog Will Travel
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 12:09:43 am »
VFW National recognizes that VFW members enjoying riding motorcycles
and have even added a bikers patch in the Emblem Supply Catalog.
VFW Nat'l recognizes what M/C and Groups do in regards to Americanism
and Community Service for Posts.
It is my understanding that the;
VFW Nat'l does not issue charters to VFW M/C or Group.
VFW Nat'l does not recognize M/Cs or Groups as a National Program or Auxiliary.
VFW Nat'l does not give any voice or votes to M/C or Groups at Department or Nat'l Conventions.
VFW Posts have established M/C or Groups as they have Bowling Teams, Softball Teams,
and Honor Guards for their membership.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:19:58 am by DoggyDaddy »
Joe Kleinsmith
Full Time RV'er

Offline RoadGlide05

• Stop crying about it and fix it.
  • Can ya hear me now?
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 08:26:37 am »
Thanks DoggyDaddy for that.  I guess any organization can post an emblem in their catalog, and can recognize the NEED for an organization, but if they do not recognize the organization as part of the parent organization, you not only don't get their support, you don't get their acknowledgement. 

Offline DoggyDaddy

• Administrator
  • Have Dog Will Travel
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 01:02:01 pm »
Thanks DoggyDaddy for that.  I guess any organization can post an emblem in their catalog, and can recognize the NEED for an organization, but if they do not recognize the organization as part of the parent organization, you not only don't get their support, you don't get their acknowledgement.  
The VFW Mens Auxiliary wishes it could be recognized like the Ladies Auxiliary with their own Charter and not be under the control of it's Post.  
For a VFW Motorcycle Riders Group to even get the recognition and acknowledgement of a Men's Aux, they first need to gain the attention of the Districts by being organized, performing patriotic and community activities, and a Post Reporting their achievements.  Then maybe Dept would recognize them as a State Program to begin with.  Any Resolution to establish a VFW Riders Group at National Level would most likely fail in committee this early in the game.
Just MHO.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:06:24 pm by DoggyDaddy »
Joe Kleinsmith
Full Time RV'er