MyVFW Social Network    Latest MyVFW Photos   Latest MyVFW Videos    MyVFW Groups    Latest Network News

Author Topic: The Forgotten Coast Guard Sailors of Vietnam  (Read 3952 times)

arroweagle

The Forgotten Coast Guard Sailors of Vietnam
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »
Sadly, including the Coast Guard, too many have forgotten the men of the Coast Guard who served in Combat in Vietnam.

No, were not talking about those who served aboard white cutters are those who were in supply or did paperwork or who served anywhere in the rear.  We are talking about the few who actually experienced combat, and especially those who gave their lives.

I know that many Americans had no idea that the Coast Guard was even in Vietnam and that I can understand.  However, the real shame is that the Coast Guard itself not only didn't bother to recognize these men for their service to their country, but actually and with intent shunned them as a whole.

My only hope is that this doesn't happen for the Coast Guard men and women who served in Desert Storm or Iraqi Freedom.

Semper Paratus!

Arroweagle

fabulous fifth

Re: The Forgotten Coast Guard Sailors of Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
 ;)  arroweagle:  I, for one, am appreciative of all that the Coast Guard does for our country.  I had a first cousin who served in the South Pacific during WWII with the Coast Guard.  We have had a State Commander of the VFW who was a Coast Guardsman in Vietnam.  They have even more responsibility now as part of the Department of Homeland Security.  I would never underestimate the service of the U.S.C.G., and I say that as a Vietnam soldier!  P.S. I have had the pleasure of visiting and touring the USCG Academy in CT - very impressive!