MyVFW Social Network    Latest MyVFW Photos   Latest MyVFW Videos    MyVFW Groups    Latest Network News

Author Topic: Membership directory  (Read 7805 times)

Offline iamholm

Membership directory
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:12:04 pm »
Need your opinions. State has partnered with a private company to create a membership directory (hardbound and over $100 per edition if you decide to order it). I have received post cards and emails informing me that an "important member verification" is due and it provides a number to this organization. Each communication is signed by our state Adjutant/Quartermaster. They have put up a FAQ page on the state website (myfloridavfw.org) if you would like to take a look at what is being said about this initiative.

I am posting in this forum because I need a sanity check on my reaction to this initiative. Perhaps this is something posts, districts, states, and perhaps even national have done in the past? I called the number and talked to the representative and did opt out, but why is my information being bandied about and perhaps sold?  The solicitations have just enough importance given to their wording and look to make them appear to be a requirement for membership in the VFW and that concerns me greatly - especially in this day and age.

What if I had thrown away the post card/ignored the e-mails? Would my personal information be printed in a book I could have easily dismissed as junk mail? How many members are contacted for personal information and end up the  victims of identity theft? (I'm not implying this company or the VFW are responsible, but scams are becoming ubiquitous.) If anyone can order these directories, what kind of control is placed on how the data will be used (the answer to that is you cannot control it)? Please provide me some feedback on this initiative!

Offline ZAP44

• Email
Re: Membership directory
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »
American Legion Dept of Maine is doing the same thing with the same outfit publishingconcepts.com.
http://www.mainelegion.org/  I got a mailing, made the mistake of replying thinking project was to document veterans then started getting phone calls looking to sell me a book.  It's a money making scheme period...with publishing concepts making most of the money.  And I agree with you.  This kind of data collection could end up being used for illegal purposes.

Offline DoggyDaddy

• Administrator
  • Have Dog Will Travel
    • VFW Post 1716, Freedom CA
    • Email
Re: Membership directory
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:37:44 pm »
My college is doing the same soliciting to group/identify graduation classes in a directory. 
A fund raiser is all it is.
Joe Kleinsmith
All State VFW Post 1716 Cmdr (1998-2000)
Cpt, VFW Post Honor Guard, Retired (1991-2009)
SC-SB County Council Cmdr (1996-1997)
SFC, US Army, Retired (1971-1991)
Full Time RV'er
www.vfwwebcom.org/ca/post1716
http://vfwwebcom.org/ca/Post1716HonorGuard/