Welcome to the VFW CT Post 296 Connecticut
Become a Friend of the Department of Connecticut
Posted at 02:19 PM on Friday, April 18, 2008 by post296
In This Issue:
1. House VA Committee Hearings
2. Senate Passes VA Home Package
3. New GI Bill Needs Your Help
1. House VA Committee Hearings:
- On Tuesday, VFW testified before the Subcommittee on Health on several bills designed to enhance health care options for veterans and their families, such as Spina Bifida, epilepsy research centers, substance use disorder treatment and prevention, and dental care. The VFW has a resolution on the epilepsy research centers and strongly supported the bill, noting that the prevalence of brain injuries from the current war is likely to lead to an increased number of epilepsy and seizure disorders in the coming years.
- On Wednesday, the Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity held a hearing on 13 bills under consideration. The VFW testified in support of all the bills, which included several that would improve education benefits for servicemembers as well as Guard and Reserve members serving since 9/11. The VFW once again stressed support for a GI Bill that would cover the full cost of education for all veterans. Other bills discussed would improve transition benefits, make changes to USSERA, and enhance VA's adaptive housing and home loan guaranty programs to bring them more in line with today's markets.
- To read our testimony or for more on the hearings including the webcast visit the House VA website at: http://veterans.house.gov/